This cake is an absolute show stopper: there is chocolate, Snickers bars, Caramel and all sorts of yummy stuff all combined in one purely awesome cake. Don’t worry about the super long recipe, it’s very easy to make. There are a few things you need to know before you start making this cake. It is a dense chocolate cake and not very sweet. There are five major steps: make the cake sponge, caramel sauce, chocolate ganache, whipped cream, and the grand finale is the layering.
I will explain each step separately so that there is no confusion, and you can bake this cake perfectly even if you think that you are a novice baker.
STEP 1 : THE SPONGE:-
- Milk chocolate, coarsely chopped 200 gm
- Water 2 cups
- Butter, softened 250 gm
- Brown Sugar, firmly packed 2 1/2 cups
- Eggs 6
- Almond meal 1 cup
- All Purpose Flour 2 cups
- Cocoa Powder 1/2 cup
- Baking powder 1 tbsp
- Salt pinch
- Preheat oven to 160C /320F. Grease two round cake pans with baking paper. I used two 20cm cake pans. If you don’t have two of the same size you will have to bake once and then bake again to get 2 cake sponges. It takes longer and it is a bit of a pain but what else can you do, right?!.
- Combine the chocolate and water in a medium sized saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until you see the chocolate melting and the mixture becomes smooth. Then let it sit on the side to cool.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat them until very pale and creamy. It is better to beat with an electric mixer or you might not get the right color and texture.
- Add one egg at a time to this mixture and beat well, keep adding the eggs and beating well. Make sure that you don’t over beat the eggs.
- Combine the flour, almond meal and cocoa in a bowl. Sift this mixture.
- Now add half of the flour mixture and stir it into the egg mixture with a wooden spoon or a spatula.
- Next add half of the chocolate mixture that we had sitting on the side from step 2. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Now repeat step 6 and 7 with the remaining flour and chocolate mixture alternating them and mixing till you see that the two have almost combined. Do not over-mix.
- Divide this mixture evenly between the two already prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 1 hour then check until a skewer inserted into the centers comes out clean. If the sponge is not ready you can bake for another 15 minutes. Take out of the oven when ready.
- Set aside for 15 minutes to cool before taking the cake out of the pan and then let it cool completely by letting them sit on a wire rack.
- Your cake is ready.
- Now take a large knife and split each cake in half horizontally. Keep it aside for later.
STEP 2 : THE CARAMEL SAUCE:-
- Caster Sugar 1/2 cup
- Double Cream/ Heavy whipping cream 1/2 cup
- To make the caramel sauce place the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon for 5-7 minutes until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from the heat.
- Slowly pour in the cream and keep stirring. The sugar becomes pretty thick at this stage so in order to get the right consistency you need to make sure that you are stirring it well.
- Now return to heat and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- Keep 1/4th cup of this caramel sauce aside because we will mix it with the whipped cream that we are going to prepare in the next step.
STEP 3 : WHIPPED CREAM FILLING:-
- Cream 300 ml
- Double cream/Heavy Whipping Cream 600 ml
- Sugar, if needed 1/4 cup
- Use an electric beater and beat the cream and the double cream/heavy whipping cream until firm peaks form.
- Grab the caramel sauce that we kept aside in step 2.
- Gently fold in the 1/4th cup of the caramel sauce to create a marbled effect. The caramel sauce is supposed to make the cream a little bit sweet but if you want the cake to be sweeter at the end I would suggest to add an 1/4 cup of sugar when you are beating the two creams together.
STEP 4: WHIPPED CHOCOLATE GANACHE:-
- Milk Chocolate , chopped 250 gm
- Double Cream/ Heavy whipping cream 1/2 cup
- To make the whipped chocolate ganache, combine the chocolate and the cream in a double broiler. Let the choclolate melt till the mixture is smooth.
- I already explained in my previous post about how to melt the chocolate if you do not have a double broiler.
- Cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 1 hour or until firm.
- Now take it out of the fridge and beat until smooth and creamy.
STEP 5: LAYERING THE CAKE:-
- snickers bars, chopped 4 bars, each 50 g
- roasted Peanuts, coarsely chopped 1/4 cup
- Gather all of the things in front of you.
- Place 1 layer of the cake on a serving plate.
- Now spoon over one-third of the cream mixture.
- Repeat with the remaining cake and cream mixture and finish with a layer of cake on top.
- Spread the top of the cake with the whipped chocolate ganache.
- Decorate it with the snickers pieces and chopped peanuts.
- Drizzle with the remaining caramel sauce and you are done.
Once you make this cake for your loved ones, everyone is going to expect really really good cakes from you. I’m sure all of you must have heard a wise man say that “with great power, comes great responsibility” haha 😀
Happy Mother’s day to all the mom’s!!!!