This Mango Cake is bursting with flavour, super moist and has a delicious lemon icing. It uses ripe mangoes and sour cream to make a wonderful tea time cake.
Difficulty: Medium Serves: 12 Course: Dessert
- 80ml or 1/3 cup milk
- 300 ml sour cream, at room temperature
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 330g or 1 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2tsp vanilla essence
- 4 eggs
- 450g or 3 cups self-raising flour
- 2 ripe mangoes, chopped
- 360g or 3 cups Pure Icing Sugar
- 80ml or 1/3 cupLemon Juice
- Pre-heat oven to 160C. Grease and line a 22cm deep cake pan with baking paper.
- Whisk milk and sour cream, set aside.
- Beat together sugar, butter and vanilla until thick and pale.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after every addition.
- Fold milk mixture and flour, alternating between the two, until just combined.
- Fold through chopped mangoes.
- Bake for 1 hour. Then cover with a baking paper and bake for another 30-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan for 20 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make lemon icing, whisk lemon juice and icing sugar until smooth
- Drizzle icing on the cake and serve.
- Make sure your butter, eggs, milk and sour cream are at room temperature.
- If you don’t have self- raising flour, just remover 6 tsp flour from plain flour and add 6 tsp baking powder. Sift well.
- The cake takes longer to bake perfectly. Keep checking after 1 hour and 30 minutes by inserting a skewer in the middle. It should come out clean
- We need pure icing sugar for the icing. If you don’t have it, just blend your caster sugar into a fine powder.
- You can use frozen mangoes or even tinned mangoes. They work fine in the recipe.
- You can jazz up your icing and add pulp of 2 passionfruit to lemon and sugar. It tastes great.
I like this cake at room temperature or slightly warm with a cup of tea. You can serve it with a dollop of whipped cream and extra cubed mangoes.
Aa jao friends “Mango Cake” tayyar hai!!
One Comment Add yours
Love this, I think i’ll make this cake today since I have a few mangoes sitting in my fridge. Thanks Salmina 😍😍
LikeLiked by 1 person