This is an important recipe in our house, It starts with the picky eater. I have the honor of having a super picky eater, my son. I always struggle to find ways to manage his preferences, all he wants is pizza drowned in cheese or cheese drowned in pizza, hehe. Sometimes he eats other things that do not look like pizza. This is one of the things he asks me to make every Ramadan for iftaar.
Most people make basic cheese balls as they are super easy and obviously delicious. Mine have chicken and potatoes aaaaaand cheese. See what I did to the picky eater here, whose the boss now. These freeze really well for over a month so it’s a winner for quick iftars. When you are ready to cook, just place them in the refrigerator a few hours before frying.
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 cup chicken, boiled and shredded
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 100 grams cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1 green chili,finely chopped
- a pinch of dried oregano
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, scrambled + 2 tbsp milk
- All purpose flour, for coating.
- Boil the potatoes. Once ready, drain,peel and mash into a large bowl.
- Add salt, black pepper, crushed chilli flakes and cumin powder. Mix well.
- Mix in the boiled chicken with your hands. Keep aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the cheddar cheese, cilantro, green chilli and the oregano. keep aside. We will use this as our filling for the croquettes.
- Now taking a small amount from the bowl with the potato mixture, make a small round ball in the palm of your hands.
- Make all the balls you can make from this mix and place them on a tray.
- Now wet your hands using a tiny bit of water /oil, place one ball in your palm and flatten it a bit. In the center place a small amount from the cheddar cheese mix. Close the ball from all sides making sure the cheese is locked in from all sides. You can make these a round shape or a slightly elongated shape whichever you find easier.
- Using the same method as mentioned above, fill all of the potato balls with the cheese filling.
- Take 3 small bowls and place the flour, the egg mixture and the breadcrumbs in them respectively. If you can handle your spices add a pinch of black peppers and 1/4 tsp of red chilli flakes in the breadcrumbs, this will give it a deeper flavor that can be tasted in all layers.
- Roll the croquettes in the flour.
- Then dip it into the egg mixture
- Finally coat it well with the breadcrumbs. Following this exact pattern coat all of the croquettes first.
- Turn the stove on and heat oil in a pan. Once hot turn the stove to a medium.
- Carefully place each croquettes in the pan and fry till golden brown on all sides.
- Place on a greasing paper to absorb all the extra oil and serve warm.
These are packed with subtle flavors and you can adjust them to make less/more spicy to your taste. You can also just dip them in ketchup or chutney, i mean which Pakistani doesn’t like their chutney, right?. Oh and don’t forget to tell me how much you were praised for these. Tag me on Instagram and Facebook. uh- oh gotta run, lemme just hide some for the other bachas (kids).
Aa jao “croquettes” tayyar hain!!
7 Comments Add yours
Pinning this! Love it!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I can see why your picky eater loves this dish Beenish! These look very tasty and filling too! Two main requirements for dinner in our house 🙂
Yaar Banish these look and sound amazing! I love fusion cooking and these sound so zesty, and like an explosion of flavors!
Also, fabulous photos my friend!
Drooling over the pics. Delicious
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you sooo much Huma😊
So yummy! 😍 I make the same potato n chicken balls! I put a cheese cube inside instead coz I find it easy to handle! 😆