There are so many varieties of fried chicken easily accessible now, that making it at home feels quiet time consuming but this is my very own version that I have created over time. Don’t expect it to be like that famous fried chicken, this one is so moist and flavorful that you will definitely make it at home again. It’s steamed and then coated and fried really quickly, resulting in one of the most juiciest and moist-iest fried chicken ever.
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp finely garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp finely ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp chat masala
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp daygee mirch powder or paprika
- 1 tsp meat tenderizer
- Using a sharp knife make a few slits on the drumsticks making sure you don’t cut too deep.
- Place the chicken in a bowl and add lemon juice, chopped garlic and chopped ginger.
- Mix together the salt, turmeric, garam masala, red chili powder, chat masala, meat tenderizer, black pepper powder and daygee mirch powder/ paprika in a seperate bowl.
- Keep aside 1 tbsp of the dry ingredient mix from step 3 and add the rest to the chicken.
- Rub this marinade over the chicken making sure to get all the slits and let it rest for an hour.
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- a small piece of ginger
- 1 carrot
- a few sprigs of cilantro
- 4-5 mint leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom
Don’t worry if you don’t have a steamer pot you can easily make one at home.
- Fill a deep pan with water and put it over heat.
- Place a sieve on top of the pan making sure that it does not touch the water underneath.
- Add all the above ingrediants to the pan and let it boil for a while.
- Place the sieve on top and put the drumsticks inside making sure they are a few inches apart.
- Cover it with a lid to prevent the steam from escaping.
- Let the chicken cook for at least 20 minutes on high flame without removing the lid.
- Remove the sieve and carefully place the drumsticks on a flat surface.
- Grab the spice mix that we had kept aside earlier and sprinkle evenly over the chicken while its hot.
COATING & DEEP FRYING:
- Flour for coating
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp chat masala
- Black pepper
- A packet of salted potato chips
- Place the flour on a flat surface.
- Whisk the eggs with a fork and keep them ready right next to the flour.
- In a third plate crush the potato chips and mix them with the breadcrumbs. Mix in some black pepper and chaat masala.
- Now cover each drumstick in flour, then dip it in the egg mix and finally coat evenly with the breadcrumbs mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the drumsticks on high flame for just a few minutes until golden brown. The chicken is already cooked so make sure not to overcook it.
- Serve the drumsticks with your choice of sauce.
Aa jao bachon “Ghar ka fried chicken” tayyar hai!!