- Me: Hello!!
- She: Mama, hello, I need a recipe asap. (the sound of urgency is extreme)
- Me: Which one?! (I’m supposed to stop everything I’m doing)
- She: Something with meat, must be delicious and awesome and takes less than 5 minutes to cook.
- Me: Stunned into silence ..* (sometimes I really can’t believe this is my daughter).. Beta there is no such thing in this entire world.
- She: Mama tell me right now, I’m in the kitchen and I’ll make it right at this very instant.
- Me: Make instant noodles and and then write “chicken” on a piece of paper and keep it on the side. That is the only thing that cooks in 5 minutes.
- She: Ufff mama what am I going to do now? ( My life is over but I’ll call you tomorrow so please find something good by then.)
After staring into space for a few minutes I go back to my life and tell myself that all mothers are probably going through the same thing and I’m not alone( at least I hope so). But after getting these calls numerous times, I know for a fact that this Khara Masala Chicken is very close to what my daughter wanted. Its quick and easy to make, has chicken and has a very unique delicious taste.
All of you probably know that masala is the word used for ground spices and Khara literally translates to standing. Usually when someone mentions khara masala they just mean that most of the spices being used are either whole or coarsely ground. Interestingly enough this gives the meal a very different flavor as compared to when ground spices are used. The aroma is amazing and so are the flavors. Just one thing to know about this particular recipe is that its a bit on the spicy side as i use a number of hot spices and some fresh green chillies too. Make sure that you either use very small amounts or skip one or more of the spices to adjust according to the level of spices you can handle. If you plan to follow the exact recipe I have tried to keep the spices balanced so that its not too hot.
- 1/2 kg chicken cut into small pieces.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp whole cumin
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1/4 tsp red chilli pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/4 tsp dry ginger powder/ soonth
- 4-5 green onions/ scallions
- /4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2-3 green chillies
- a pinch of garam masala (adjust according to taste)
- 1/4 tsp chaat masala
- 1/4 tsp crushed cumin
- 1/4 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1/2 inch ginger julienne.
- Salt, according to your taste
- 2-3 tbsp roughly chopped cilantro
- Take an open faced pan or a wok. I used a wok as I feel its easier to handle.
- Turn the heat on medium to high.
- Heat oil in the pan and add cumin, garlic and the crushed red chilli pepper flakes.
- Saute for a minute and then turn the heat on high.
- Add the chicken and cook until all the water disappears.
- Add the turmeric, tomato puree, dry ginger powder (sonth) and the scallions/green onions. You can also use regular onions. I keep switching back and forth depending on whichever thing I have in my pantry. Saute for a minute or two.
- Whip the yogurt and throw it in the pan as well. Mix everything together.
- Turn the heat to medium, cover and let it cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Turn the heat back on high. Take the lid off and saute the chicken for 5 minutes .
- Add the ginger, green chillies, garam masala, cumin powder, chaat masala, black pepper and cilantro. Mix just a little bit.
- Turn the heat on low and cover for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
This is a very quick recipe to make and usually a life saver when running late.
Aa jao bachon “khara masala chicken” tayyar hai !!!!